Parenting for the Launch!
Many parents of teenagers describe feeling isolated, ill-equipped, and under-prepared, with kids who don’t appear be listening during this crucial time of life. They are anxious about their children leaving home and their relationships are often strained. At a time when parents want to become closer to their teens, they feel like they’re being pushed away in favor of other voices. These questions keep them awake at night:
- Have we covered the bases?
- How will our relationship change?
- Are they ready?
- Are we ready???
We believe (and think most will agree) that young adults today need more than head knowledge. They need a solid, holistic leadership foundation that will support them and enable them to make key decisions in these crucial years and beyond. This includes--
- Has anyone ever done something nice for you that was so refreshing, it made your day? Maybe the person ahead of you at Starbucks paid for your coffee. A family member did your chores for you (without being asked). A … Continue reading
- Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is. Ernest Hemingway You don’t have to live very long to realize that things don’t always go the way … Continue reading
- Perhaps one of the greatest challenges for students post-high school isn’t how to avoid all the potential pitfalls of independent living. For many, it can be learning to say NO to too many good things! In college, for example (or … Continue reading
- The year was 1973 and I was enjoying my first year of independent life as a college freshman. On the other hand, our nation was in a full-blown funk, consumed with Watergate and the Vietnam War. We needed a shot … Continue reading
- The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear. ~Socrates What do Google, Apple, Facebook, Disney, Nike, McDonalds, BMW, Coca Cola, Lego, Coach, Harley Davidson, and you have in common? The answer … Continue reading
- It’s been said you will become the average of the three to five people with whom you spend the most time. Can you see it? Positive, motivated people challenge and inspire us to be our best. Negative, unmotivated people can … Continue reading
- When you look at yourself in the mirror, whom do you see? Is the image clear or blurry? Do you like what you see or wish you could have a makeover? Are you a kitten who sees a lion or … Continue reading
- “The quality of your commitments will determine the course of your life.” – Ralph Marston Everyone has a dream—or at least, they should! The question is, will that dream become a reality? Success doesn’t come easily and dreams don’t automatically … Continue reading
- If you don’t know where you are going, you will probably end up somewhere else. ~Lawrence J. Peter For those of us who grew up in the Sixties, July 20, 1969 will go down as the most inspirational day of … Continue reading
- Where will they go from here? It’s a question every parent, educator, and mentor has likely pondered as the children under their guidance prepare for their launch into the real world. They’ve offered love, security, wisdom, and training and have … Continue reading